The Filter is our youth service which provides quit smoking support and smoking prevention to 11 - 25 years olds. The Filter’s motto is to "filter out the myths and give the facts about smoking" to young people.
The Filter's services along with its exceptionally experienced youth workers are now available for commissioning.
Alongside the basic health impacts of smoking and tobacco, The Filter delves into related topics to spread the facts about:
- Shisha / hookah
- Illegal tobacco
- Co-consumption with cannabis and legal highs
What we do
The project specifically targets those classed as ‘hard-to-reach’ in a number of ways:
- Workshops in a variety of youth provisions including; youth centers, Pupil Referral Units, young parent groups
- Workshops specifically designed for schools
- Two specific, highly targeted projects; Commit to Quit and Filter Apprentice
- Comprehensive social media and online engagement via the most prominent channels including Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat
- An informative website which provides support, and the facts about tobacco, in a relevant and targeted way for young people
- Volunteering opportunities in a number of aspects of our work
Find out more
The Filter website contains a wealth of youth-focused information about smoking and tobacco, alongside the topics mentioned above. It also includes a comprehensive section for professionals who work with young people which explains more about our various strands of work and has lots of free resources for youth provisions.
The Filter's provides an innovative and multi-strand approach to addressing smoking and tobacco issues with young people. The service is flexible and can be adapted to a range of professional disciplines, youth settings and groups of young people. Our website and social media channels complement our youth work and training services and we offer a cost-effective solution which can be tailored to your needs.
The youth development team has worked with over 5,500 young people face-to-face at more than 220 sessions since the project’s launch in 2013. The website has been visited by over 45,000 individuals and our social media pages have over 2,240 followers. Our training has reached over 400 people from various organisations.
The project has been evaluated by Cardiff University's Institute of Primary Care and Public Health.
- The Filter Evaluation - Executive Summary (March 2015)
- The Filter Evaluation - Full Report (March 2015)