The Wales Tobacco or Health Network (WTHN) is a network for all individuals in Wales with an interest in tobacco and with an interest in the wider determinants of health and health inequalities. Increasingly, the links between tobacco use and a range of other health and wellbeing issues are being further researched and understood. The network not only focuses on smoking and tobacco control but also on the wider issues surrounding smoking and tobacco use. The meetings cover issues such as:
- Smoking cessation, smokefree spaces, illegal tobacco, electronic cigarettes, niche tobacco and prevention interventions
- The link between tobacco use and increased tobacco consumption
- How tobacco use contributes to child poverty
- The link between tobacco use and mental health
- Ensuring under-represented and non-represented groups are able to access health promotion and treatment services
- Addressing multiple risk behaviours in young people
The network is open to individuals and is not organisationally representative. Members are welcome from many organisations and sectors, including academia, the tobacco control community, education, government, healthcare, industry, local government, the media, the NHS, public health, and the private and voluntary sectors.
There are enormous benefits to joining the Network, and crucially, given the current economic situation, membership is free. The Network will exist to support members by providing and improving access to information, and by providing a forum for sharing knowledge and good practice, enabling members to learn from each other.
How to join the network
To join the Wales Tobacco or Health Network, please complete the membership form below and return by one of the following methods:
Post: WTHN, ASH Wales Cymru, 2nd Floor, 14-18 City Road, Cardiff CF24 3DL.
Why join the network?
- Network members gain access to networking and training opportunities of benefit to their professional and personal development
- Members will have access to discounted training at selected training events and conferences that we run
- The Network enables members to help to reduce the harm caused by tobacco in Wales by informing and influencing policy development and implementation
- Members are able to attend, free of charge, any or all of the three symposia events held across Wales each year. The Symposia will typically take the form of a one-day interactive conference with presenters from Wales and across the UK
- Not only will you receive a copy of our monthly e-newsletter, we actively encourage members to contribute to the newsletter and to let other members know what is happening across Wales. Your views, opinions and issues are welcomed and encouraged
- Members may wish to identify areas of work that are of common interest and to pool resources to develop best practice, support and guidance on these areas. For example, implementing Smokefree Playgrounds in Local Authority areas or introducing Smokefree Homes programmes. Support will be provided to members to undertake working parties which address a particular cross-sector need and to develop a guidance document on moving the work forward in Wales.
Presentations from the latest meeting will be uploaded here in due course.