This course will give learners the key knowledge, practical skills and confidence to encourage and support young people to stop smoking. The course will be interactive, and you will take part in dynamic and fun activities which can be adapted and tailored to suit the needs of the young people you work with.
To gain knowledge and understanding of the quitting process and acquire skills in encouraging and supporting young people to quit.
By attending this course you will be able to:
- Understand nicotine addiction
- Understand how motivation influences quit attempts
- Describe a range of withdrawal symptoms and identify appropriate coping strategies to remain smokefree
- Gain knowledge and skills in the use of a carbon monoxide monitor
- Recognise the benefits of quitting smoking
- Understand the process of stopping smoking and discover how to appropriately support a young person to quit
- Create and implement a stop-smoking plan
- Know where to signpost young people for further support to stop smoking
Relaxed approach with emphasis on ‘supporting’ people to understand smoking, rather than telling them they have to give up. I will aid the pupils I work with to have a greater understanding of tobacco, addiction, risks and cessation tips.
I have gained an understanding of addiction and how to approach young people who are smokers. I will apply this to specific target groups but also aim to extend this across the school to give staff a better understanding.