This interactive and engaging course will equip learners with the key knowledge, practical skills and confidence to discuss issues regarding smoking prevention with young people. Through experiential learning, participants will have the opportunity to partake in dynamic and fun activities that can be adapted and tailored to suit the needs of the young people they work with.
To acquire knowledge and skills in discouraging young people from starting smoking, by dispelling myths and promoting good health.
- Understand why young people start and continue to smoke, why they may wish to quit, and identify potential relapse triggers
- Identify the carcinogenic chemicals found in tobacco and cigarette smoke
- Understand nicotine addiction
- Recognise the possible short- and long-term health consequences of smoking
- Recognise the benefits of quitting smoking
- Challenge smoking-related myths
- Recognise the impact of Tobacco Industry advertising on the recruitment of young people as replacement smokers
- Know where to signpost young people for further information and support
Day was really informative, especially on the effects smoking can have. I have learnt a lot about smoking and its effects today.